Children as young as eight will be monitored for “signs of gang behaviour” following warnings that a generation of Londoners could be lost to street violence.
This “early intervention” forms part of an initiative in Brent — one of the boroughs that piloted the Met's Operation Trident in 1998 to tackle gun crime in the black community.
Alarming new figures have revealed that 11,000 children are living in severe poverty in Brent, and 7,000 in Harrow - which can include going without food, clothing or heating. TARA BRADY reports.
FOR the first time, Save the Children, has provided a local authority breakdown showing the number of children living in severe poverty.
Cllr Zaffar Van Kalwala warns that Brent is losing out on vital Government funding because its population is under counted
A councillor is urging residents to fill in the census as he warns that Brent is losing out on an estimated £20milion a year in Government grants because its population has been underestimated.
Cllr Zaffar Van Kalwala (Lab: Stonebridge), says that in the current climate of deep public spending cuts, it is more important than ever fore residents to complete the form, which calculates the number of people living in each borough.
PARTNERSHIP & PLACE OVERVIEW & SCRUTINY COMMITTEE:
CRIME, POLICING AND BRENT FIRE SERVICE
Safer Neighbourhood Teams:
- Brent is currently 4 PCSOs and approximately 10 PCs short.
- Borough Commander has put a freeze on all transfers to ensure there are no further reductions in Police numbers.
THE FOUNDERS of a childrens’ playcentre that is facing closure have been named in the Queen’s New Year’s honours list. Douglas and Glynis Lee have been awarded an MBE for their services to the community which includes them taking care of hundreds of children in and around the Stonebridge area in the last 30 years. The pair established Brent Play Association which runs Stonebridge Adventure Playground in Shakespeare Crescent, Stonebridge.
A GROUP has been set up by Brent Council to investigate gangs in the borough.
The group, which has cross party support, will look at how and why young people get involved in gangs, what can be done about the issue and how to divert people away from joining one.
The investigation will also look at the Americanisation of Brent gangs where groups are linked with colours, the exploitation and violence towards women and the role of the media and internet.
RED-faced council chiefs have been forced to back down and return thousands of pounds extorted from drivers on Boxing Day, thanks to the Times. Brent Council has bowed to pressure and agreed to refund more than £13,000 of fines generated from ticket-s
Brent Council has bowed to pressure and agreed to refund more than £13,000 of fines generated from ticket-slapping traffic wardens after admitting they mucked up.
Tue, 02/15/2011 - 19:03
- CllrZaffar tweeted "Inflation up, unemployment up and the economy down. Its back to the bad old Tory days with a little help from their Lib Dems chums!" 7:03pm#
Sun, 01/16/2011 - 16:56
- CllrZaffar tweeted "Had a wicked time at the Stonebridge Olders Persons Forum New Year Party! delicious jerk chicken & rice and peas! and great Carribean music" 4:56pm#
Fri, 01/14/2011 - 17:10
- CllrZaffar tweeted "Clegg talks about Alarm Clock Britain, he's the one that needs to wake up & smell the Oldham coffee! Well done Debbie & Labour!" 5:10pm#
Sat, 07/11/2009 - 16:31
- CllrZaffar tweeted "Just finished campaigning in Wembley for the by-election. Support seems strong and look forward to a Labour victory!" 4:31pm#